VFX Set Supervisor with proven experience guiding director, crew and client through VFX production on episodic television schedules, pre to post VFX production. Influential in steering conflicting priorities toward amicable outcomes through diplomatic, professional management of client relations and expectations. Ascertaining my deep understanding of live-action production, direction, cinematography, and narrative development, I lead visual effects on-set teams with integrity, respect and collaborative spirit.
VFX SET SUPERVISOR, Series
ENCORE VFX, THE FLASH, 2014 – Present
Over 6 seasons of The Flash, I’ve acted as the liaison between vendor-side visual effects supervisor, director, DOP and studio regarding all day-to-day production-level VFX administration & logistics. I cultivate strong collaborative and respectful working relationships with Exec Producer, Production Manager, and production department key personnel while managing client relations throughout the production cycle in a professional, diplomatic manner.
- Assist Director, DOP, Production Designer, 1st AD and key department leads with shot design, animated sequence planning, and on-set VFX coordination while balancing the director’s vision, DOP’s shot choices and visual effects logistical requirements and possible alternative approaches.
- Supervise all plate photography relevant to visual effects element integration and animation timing.
- Improved VFX pipeline, asset tracking database, and data packaging for delivery to VFX post, streamlining HDRI capture & processing, texture and reference photography, and VFX on-set data acquisition.
- Foster professional development for VFX team members through formal and informal coaching, technical skill assignments and emphatic performance feedback.
VFX SET SUPERVISOR
BARDEL ENTERTAINMENT, Nickelodeon feature, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS, 2013
Supervised visual effects plate photography and CG animation sequence elements on location in British Columbia and Hawaii. Prepared preliminary script breakdowns, VFX overviews and approaches, assisted the Director, DOP, Production Designer and 1st AD with storyboards, shot design, CG animation sequence planning.
- During production, I worked with Director, Exec Producer, DP, 1st AD to accommodate spontaneous creative CG animation sequence divergences, balancing VFX budget, requirements and on-set logistical concerns.
- Directed practical element photography, facilitating CG character animation inclusion to live-action plates.
- Implemented HDRI acquisition, texture photography, and set reference methodologies and delivery pipeline.
- Recruited, trained and supervised local VFX crew on location in Hawaii.
DIRECTOR / CREATIVE PRODUCER
ADIDAS / HONG KONG, Corporate training production, 2010- 2012
In collaboration with corporate training experts and producers, I directed specific topical narratives for executive management training video productions in South East Asia.
- Engaged in fostering strong client rapport as a new vendor, balancing budget, schedule, and delivery specs.
- Sourced, selected & contracted local production crews in Manila, Philippines.
- Supervised and led technical and creative teams from pre- production thru post to delivery.
VFX PLATE SUPERVISOR / CG ANIMATION DIRECTOR, Series
YOWZA DIGITAL, Discovery / BBC series, DINOSAPIEN, 2007
Fully engaged in all aspects of creating CG creature sequences, to include pitching CG animation sequences to clients, developing storyboards, participating in production meetings, directing CG animation teams in-house, supervising main unit and 2nd unit/ VFX plate photography on location in Drumheller, BC.
- Worked closely with writers, directors, show runner, DOP and key crew in developing narrative and technical execution of all CG creature sequences and plate photography.
- Prepared concise interpretation of director’s notes, set data, VFX production reports, episodic post-mortem reviews.
- VFX Supervisor on main unit, acquired reference and texture photography, HDRI, and location survey data.
- Nurtured collaborative relationships with clients, formed amicable connections between production and post.
DIRECTOR / CREATIVE PRODUCER, Series
THE ORPHANAGE II, CBC Series, WHAT IT’S LIKE BEING ALONE, 2005 – 2006
Joined the series as the animation director, then transitioned to series creative producer and began directing episodes. Responsibilities ran the gamut, as I oversaw all physical animation production aspects from concept to editorial, pitching story ideas, supervising photography, hiring animators, compositors, designers, fabricators, and lighting crew.
- Provided creative direction, pitching sequences to writers and showrunner; worked closely with VFX and editorial.
- Overhauled production procedures, redesigning and implementing efficient shooting stages and camera processes.
- Spearheaded robust stop motion puppet fabrication department rebuild, integrating safety equipment, advanced fabrication, rigging and finish methodologies.
- Propelled progress in a deadline-driven environment, employing in-house animators, compositors and VFX teams.
CG ANIMATION DIRECTOR / VFX PLATE SUPERVISOR, Series
CALIBER DIGITAL, BBC series, ACE LIGHTNING, 2004
Contracted as an episodic CG animation director to guide and manage in-house CG creature animation and supervise 2nd unit / VFX plate photography.
- Developed and pitched CG animation sequences to showrunner and production executives, balancing budgetary limits, facility animation capabilities and practical on-set considerations.
- Working closely with Director and DOP, supervised 2nd unit animation sequences, acquired on set camera data, HDRI and texture photography.
- Worked closely with CG modelling, lighting, rigging and compositing teams to maximize CG character integration.
Excellent written / verbal communication – Organized, detail-oriented – Competent, calm under pressure – Extensive client management experience – Influential facility / director/ client liaison – Independent problem solver – Resourceful, inventive & innovative – Analytical, objective, methodical – Proven Team Leader
Television Producer Certificate, Ryerson University, Toronto, ON
Independent Film & Television Producer Certificate, Centennial College, Toronto, ON
Screenwriting, Ryerson University, Toronto, ON
Special Makeup Effects Certificate, Dick Smith’s Advanced Professional Makeup Course
VFX Production & Cinematography, Rockport Film & Television Workshops, ME
Massachusetts College of Art, Film & Sculpture, Boston, MA
• GET IN TOUCH •
“Marc has a rare mix of technical expertise and endless creativity. He encourages the best work from team members and raises the bar for craftsmanship on any project he’s directing. Marc proved to be an excellent collaborator, and his experience was the key to making our production an international success.”
– Steve Jaworski, Visual Effects Supervisor