VFX On Set Supervisor with proven experience guiding director, crew and client through VFX production on episodic television schedules, pre-production to post. Influential in steering conflicting priorities toward amicable outcomes through diplomatic, professional management of client relations and expectations. I have a deep understanding of live-action production, direction, cinematography, and narrative development. I lead teams with integrity, respect and collaborative spirit.
SR. VFX SET SUPERVISOR, Series
ENCORE VFX, THE FLASH, 2014 – Present
Deal effectively with all day-to-day VFX administration, including sourcing and booking scan/lidar vendors, managing completion and upload of HDRI’s, camera data, time tracking data and reference materials.
- Liaison effectively between creative director/ VFX producer, director, client.
- Manage client relations throughout the production cycle in a professional, diplomatic manner.
- I develop and continue to cultivate strong collaborative and respectful working relationships with Exec Producer, Production Manager, and production department key personnel.
- Developed a markedly improved VFX pipeline, asset tracking database, and data packaging for delivery to VFX post.
- Streamlined HDRI, texture photography, & data acquisition procedures to maximize efficiency.
- Foster professional development for VFX team members through formal and informal coaching, technical skill assignments and performance feedback.
VFX SET SUPERVISOR
BARDEL ENTERTAINMENT, Nickelodeon feature, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS, 2013
- Prepared preliminary script breakdowns, VFX overviews and approaches.
- Assisted the Director with storyboards, shot design, animated sequence planning, and on set coordination.
- Collaborated daily with the Director, Exec Producer, DP, 1st AD in planning & executing VFX requirements.
- Supervised all plate photography relevant to CG animated character inclusion and timing.
- Directed practical element photography, facilitating CG character animation integration into live-action plates.
- Dramatically improved in-house HDRI acquisition, texture photography, and set reference methodologies.
- Recruited, trained and supervised local VFX assistants on location in Hawaii.
DIRECTOR / CREATIVE PRODUCER
ADIDAS / HONG KONG, Corporate training production, 2010- 2012
In collaboration with training experts, I assisted in developing specific topical narratives, directing and producing executive management training videos for streaming in Asia.
- Orchestrated story pitches, script, secured contracts with international cast members in Manila, Philippines.
- Engaged closely with the production crew, developed strong client rapport, balancing resources, schedule, and delivery.
- Consulted with local crews in technical and creative aspects of production.
VFX PLATE SUPERVISOR / CG ANIMATION DIRECTOR, Series
YOWZA DIGITAL, Discovery / BBC series, DINOSAPIEN, 2007
Directed CG animation in-house, developing storyboards, pitching CG animation sequences to clients. I directed 2nd Unit/ VFX on location in Drumheller, AB.
- Consulted with writers, directors, showrunner, DOP and key crew in developing narrative and technical execution.
- Prepared concise interpretation of director’s notes, set data, VFX production reports, episodic post-mortem reviews.
- Supervised main unit VFX photography, supplied ref materials, HDRI, and location survey data.
- Maintained collaborative relationships with clients, formed amicable connections between production and post VFX.
DIRECTOR / CREATIVE PRODUCER, Series
THE ORPHANAGE II, CBC Series, WHAT IT’S LIKE BEING ALONE, 2005 – 2006
Hired as a series animation director, I was promoted to creative producer and episodic director. As the series creative producer, I oversaw animation production aspects from concept to editorial. Additionally, I directed several episodes of the series.
- Provided creative direction, pitching sequences to writers and showrunner; worked closely with VFX and editorial.
- Overhauled production procedures, redesigning and implementing efficient shooting stages and camera processes.
- Spearheaded robust stop motion puppet fabrication department rebuild, integrating safety equipment, advanced fabrication, rigging and finish methodologies.
- Propelled progress in a deadline-driven environment, employing in-house animators, compositors and VFX teams.
CG ANIMATION DIRECTOR / VFX PLATE SUPERVISOR, Series
CALIBER DIGITAL, BBC series, ACE LIGHTNING, 2004
Contracted as an episodic CG animation director to guide and manage in-house teams and supervise 2nd unit plate photography and practical interactive elements.
- Developed and pitched CG animation sequences to showrunner and production executives, balancing budgetary limits, in house animation capabilities and practical on set considerations.
- Directed 2nd unit animation sequences, acquired on set camera data, HDRI and texture photography for VFX plates
- Worked closely with CG modelling, lighting, rigging and compositing teams to maximize CG character integration.
- Recruited, trained and mentored CG animators, introducing particularities of real-world timing, movement and physics for better integration into VFX plate photography.
Excellent written / verbal communication – Organized, detail-oriented – Competent, calm under pressure
Extensive client management experience – Influential facility / director/ client liaison
Independent problem solver – Resourceful, inventive & innovative – Analytical, objective, methodical – Proven Team Leader
Television Producer Certificate, Ryerson University, Toronto, ON
Independent Film & Television Producer Certificate, Centennial College, Toronto, ON
Screenwriting, Ryerson University, Toronto, ON
Special Makeup Effects Certificate, Dick Smith’s Advanced Professional Makeup Course
VFX Production & Cinematography, Rockport Film & Television Workshops, ME
Massachusetts College of Art, Film & Sculpture, Boston, MA
• GET IN TOUCH •
“Marc has a rare mix of technical expertise and endless creativity. He encourages the best work from team members and raises the bar for craftsmanship on any project he’s directing. Marc proved to be an excellent collaborator, and his experience was the key to making our production an international success.”
– Steve Jaworski, Visual Effects Supervisor